A lot of people ask the following question when I say I predominantly use Joomla for blogging: "Why aren´t you using Wordpress?" with tone of incredulity in their voice as though anyone who doesn´t use wordpress is slightly slow in the head. I always reply: "Why do you use wordpress?". Normally they just say because thats what everyone uses, and they have been told it is the best. I believe in choosing the appropriate tool for the job in hand. Well, here are the reasons I use Joomla:
- It has a much simpler templating system than wordpress, the html/php is all in one file, instead of split out. I get on well with this system.
- It provides more scope for expansion. There are many, many extensions for joomla which I may wish to add to the site at some point such as shopping carts, forums, access control, social networking, classified ads etc etc etc
- It has a really great framework for Rapid Application Development. I am into coding, and if I can´t find an extension I want, I can build really quite complex applications very quickly
So, there you have it, some of the reasons I use Joomla over wordpress a lot of the time. Here are some extensions I use on a lot of sites which I have found useful:
- jcomments. Just install it, choose the categories/sections you want it to appear on, and publish. Easy, simple, works out of the box and with lots of options should you choose to tinker further
- Acesef Search engine friendly urls. Used to use sh404sef, but was so buggy, had a horrible interface and you now have to pay for it, so switched to Acesef for urls. I use basic Joomla sef for many sites, but when I have additional components or need a bit of control, I use Acesef. The free version adds a link at the bottom of the site. The admin interface is simple and lush.
Other articles you may be interested in
- Travel Blog Directory - submit your site!
- Tips for promoting a Travel Blog
- New spin on guest posts
- Retweet this to get a pr4 travel link
- A couple of travel sites accepting guest posts
- Your 7 night Ibiza 2010 clubbing plan
- The Biggest Mistake Most Travel Blogs Make
- Writers block Part 2
- The worst guest post I have ever been sent
- What to focus on when promoting your blog
- The Falkland Islands
- Discovering Canada
- Things I hate about bloggers and blogging:
- Stop copying other bloggers!
- The Safest World Cities for Tourists
- Why posts about blogging will not get you rich
- New facebook features blah blah blah
- Support Passports With Purpose
- A visit to Sin City
- Top 5 activities for a great hen weekend in Barcelona.
- 5 Reasons to Drive Yourself to the Airport
- The best places to shop in Melbourne
- What to do before heading off on a backpacking adventure
- Weekend in Las Vegas
- 4 Free Wi-Fi Finder Apps for the Digital Vagabond
- 3 of the Best Places for a Family Safari in Africa
- Dirt Cheap Airline Tickets
- Why York has Something For Everyone
- 5 Good Reasons to Visit Lanzarote
- What Makes a Great Melbourne Experience?
- Where is the Best Place to Pop the Question, Unconventionally
- 5 Ways to prepare for your Ski Holiday
- Learning a foreign language – how I did it
- Cheap but Fancy Hotels to Try in New York City
- Top world surf holiday destina...
I really appreciated this article! Surf holidays a... More...
- Top 10 Holiday Spots in India
I'd love to visit India and found your article rea... More...
- Live Performance Shows in NYC ...
Spring is the month for jazz festivals – the River... More...
- Autumn Travel Ideas
I think Dubai is a place where you can visit in Au... More...
- Top 10 Holiday Spots in India
This is a great article here. India always looked ... More...