There are so many clichés in this incestuous, unimaginative world of blogging that are starting to really get on my nerves, so take a step back whilst I rant about them.
The "Write about a topic you are passionate about" spiel.
This term gets bandied about so much in the blogoshpere, I am not sure these people even know what passionate means. It has become diluted. The only thing I am really passionate about is dong naughty things with my girlfriend, and I´m certainly not going to write about that. And people that say they are passionate about blogging and passionate about writing are clearly liars, as they never seem to talk about anything other than what to write about or how to promote your blog, or weatherproofing or wooden interior cabinets. That doesn´t seem very passionate to me.
I believe it is perfectly acceptable to write about a subject if:
- You have a passing interest in it
- Someone told you to
- It is going to be useful to someone
- You will get cash for it
I mean, look at newspaper journalists, they churn out stories all day long, do you really think they are passionate about every one?
You DO NOT have to be passionate about a subject to write about it, you just have to write something interesting.
7 Reasons why blah blah blah post titles
Someone somewhere once wrote that people like blog posts that are lists, preferably with an odd amount of items so the human brain psychologically want more so it can round the numbers off so the readers stick around more or some such psychobabble nonsense. Someone else wrote that the ideal title for such a post was “7 reasons ….........”.
What happens? All the blogging sheep go and write dozens and dozens of really dreary list articles with variations on this title. Below are 7 dreary titles for dreary list articles I have seen (notice what I´m doing here? I´m criticizing something, then I do it myself! Ha ha! I am must be so post-modern and ironic etc.)
- 7 ways to fiddle about with wordpress because you are rubbish at writing but still want to think you are a blogger
- 5 ways to bore your audience into submission
- 9 ways to make money online with absolutely no clue whatsoever
- 7 ways to waste hours of your life reading dreary nonsense on the internet
- 3 bloggers who think they are interesting but in fact are not at all
Controversial blog titles, then the post is not actually controversial at all.
Like this one.
Cliquey bloggers who run round holding hands with each other on the internet mutually adoring each other and praising each other´s mediocre efforts and never saying what they really think because of something called “netiquette”
Blog off, the lot of you. Nobody really cares who you are on the internet, they just want a link out of you for their crappy “how to be a blogger” blogs which they think will get them rich.
Bloggers who give tips about SEO when they have yet to have any success at all in manipulating the serps
Go away and run a few successful SEO campaigns in competitive industries where you actually get paid to do SEO before you fill the internet up with your second hand drivel. And write something that is not already on 25,000 other blogs already.
DISCLAIMER: If you disagree with any of the contents of this post, good. If you think I am being hypocritical, condescending, patronizing and arrogant in producing this body of text, good for you. But it probably hit a nerve, which is why your angry. Or if you are not angry but laughing, retweet this article. But please don´t put “lolz” or anything like that in the tweet.Vacation rentals Barcelona Property Spain
Other articles you may be interested in
- Tips for promoting a Travel Blog
- Retweet this to get a pr4 travel link
- Why I use Joomla for blogging
- Writers block Part 2
- The worst guest post I have ever been sent
- What to focus on when promoting your blog
- Stop copying other bloggers!
- Why posts about blogging will not get you rich
- New facebook features blah blah blah
- Support Passports With Purpose
- Organising a Cheap yet Romanti...
Sounds great, like a perfect wedding ;) anamaya More...
- Five Budget-Friendly Family Ho...
I live in Yorkshire and am impressed it has made i... More...
- Holidays in Southern Italy
Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this... More...
- The Best Skiing Resorts in Tur...
Nice article, I would prefer to see the place from... More...
- Winter holiday in Barcelona
Barcelona is an amazing city and is loaded with to... More...