Despite being just 80km from one end to the other, Majorca manages to squeeze everything from beautiful laid-back beaches to stunning countryside, a fascinating history and an exciting nightlife onto its small surface. There are plenty of activities for the young and young at heart, as well as lots of secret getaways for those who prefer to get off the beaten track.
So, without further ado, here are the top 5 must-see attractions on a visit to Majorca:
1. Cathedral (Le Seu), Palma de Mallorca – Palma is the main city on the island of Majorca and, as well as the busiest party town, this beautiful location boasts a captivating history. Right at the top of places to visit in this city is the Cathedral (Le Seu). You’ll find it perching proudly on the seafront at the Placa de l'Almoaina; it’s known for its size and its stunning stained class. Check opening times before you visit as it often closes during the siesta.
2. Palma Aquarium, Palma de Mallorca – another must-see attraction in the island’s capital city, but this time in the new town. The Palma Aquarium is world famous and for very good reason. For starters, it has the biggest walk through shark tank in the whole of Spain. This attraction also has such a great reputation because it is 100% sustainable. Spending the morning admiring the sea dragons is the perfect activity should some bad weather hit the island, but it’s also well worth visiting even the sun stays out!
3. Majorcan Fiestas – wherever and whenever you visit in Majorca, there’s a very good chance that a fiesta will be taking place near you. Majorcans love to feast and are incredibly welcoming in their celebrations to tourists and travellers alike. This website (http://www.majorcanvillas.com/majorcainfo-fiestas.asp) will help you work out what’s going on and when, but to whet your appetite, here are a couple of fiesta highlights:
- Feast of the Vermar at Binissalem (local wine tasting - last Sunday of September)
- The Day Of God (a huge celebration - June)
- The Day Of The Moors & Christians (a battle re-enactment of the victory over the Turkish pirates in 1561 – times vary)
4. Visit the Sierra de Tramuntana Mountains – at 1,400 metres high, you won’t be able to miss these huge and imposing mountains when you visit Majorca. There are plenty of tours from the main cities which will take you round some of the picturesque towns and villages that make their home along the winding roads. Or, even better, if you have a hire car, leave early in the morning and aim to get a few thousand feet up in time for a breakfast with a view!
5. Cabrera Marine National Park – This attraction is slightly off the main island of Majorca, but it’s definitely worth jumping on a boat to visit. There are some stunning natural sights to admire and marine experts from around the world visit for the teeming life found around the island. If you’d prefer to stay more inland, the 14th Century castle is well worth exploring. Visit on a cool day as you’ll be doing lots of hiking around.
Adriano Comegna writes for First Choice holidays, a leading travel operator specialising in all majorca holidays.
Other articles you may be interested in
- Quick Guide to Lanzarote
- 5 Reasons to Drive Yourself to the Airport
- Picking Up a Bargain in Sharm El Sheikh
- Things to do in Cabo Frio
- Five of the World’s most Luxurious Train Journeys
- The American Great outdoors - a family trip
- How To Minimize Banking Fees When Overseas
- Tee-Time in Mauritius
- Top world surf holiday destinations
- Top 5 things to do in Mauritius
- Swimming in Mauritius
- The 8 Best Travel Accessories and Companions for Travellers
- Spa retreats: travel the world, without the trepidation
- 6 Ways You Can Travel The World For Free
- Australia’s Cutest Towns
- 3 Solo Travel Tips
- The Cathedral of Amalfi: more than a century of history not to miss out on
- Five of Andalusia's Protected Areas that Must be Seen
- Winter holiday in Barcelona
- Volunteer opportunities abroad is a chance to observe more of the world
- Top world surf holiday destina...
I really appreciated this article! Surf holidays a... More...
- Top 10 Holiday Spots in India
I'd love to visit India and found your article rea... More...
- Live Performance Shows in NYC ...
Spring is the month for jazz festivals – the River... More...
- Autumn Travel Ideas
I think Dubai is a place where you can visit in Au... More...
- Top 10 Holiday Spots in India
This is a great article here. India always looked ... More...