Whether you're a freelancer who works from your laptop while traveling, an email addict who must check your inbox 100 times a day, a bargain hunter who enjoys combing the web for fun, or you're just looking for free Wi-Fi when you're in an unfamiliar city, there are several tools you can use to help find the closest hot spot. Simply enlist your smart phone and you'll be connection to Wi-Fi in no time.
Here are a few of our top choices for smart phone apps that can help you find an Internet connection wherever life takes you:
• WiFi Finder – With this app, you can search for free and paid Wi-Fi anywhere in the world. The app scours a database of nearly 500,000 hotspots to find something nearby. You can search by cost (free or paid), location type (coffee shop, library, etc.) and even by provider. Clicking on a venue will give you details including the location, contact information, and directions to the business. And, if you ever find a hot spot that’s not listed, you can submit it directly through the app.
• Hotspotr – This well known website has helped thousands of users find Wi-Fi hot spots in cities around the United States. It's available as an app on the iPhone – or, if you have another carrier, you can just open the mobile site on your smart phone. The site is user-driven, as they're the ones to submit Wi-Fi hot spots in their city. If you find one that's not on the list, you can submit it to help others in their search for a connection.
• Starbucks – If you're an AT&T customer, don't forget that you get free Wi-Fi at AT&T hotspots like Starbucks. The app tracks your location and finds you the closest Starbucks – or, you can search by amenities. As an added bonus, the app gives you access to information about its whole bean coffee and related nutrition information. Note: Your AT&T data plan may also get you free access to hot spots in universities, convention centers, restaurants, bookstores, and more.
• Yelp – Yelp is one of the most popular mobile apps for finding restaurants, coffee shops, bars, and more nearby – and learning what other travelers have to say about the venue. But, did you know it can also be used to find Wi-Fi hot spots? Simply search by category (like coffee shops or restaurants) and when you click on a venue, the app will tell you whether it has Wi-Fi.
Before heading out on your next trip, whether for business or leisure, consider downloading one of the above apps so you'll have access to Wi-Fi when you need it most.
About the Author:
Laura Murphy could never be considered a homebody – in fact, she is quite the opposite. She has traveled all over the world, never staying in one place too long and always anxious to explore new territory. A gig like hers –writing for the cheap car hire site NovaCarHire.com – is a dream come true! She hopes you'll continue to follow her as she explores the globe...and who knows? Maybe you'll even learn a thing or two about budget traveling!
Other articles you may be interested in
- Travel Blog Directory - submit your site!
- Tips for promoting a Travel Blog
- New spin on guest posts
- Retweet this to get a pr4 travel link
- A couple of travel sites accepting guest posts
- Why I use Joomla for blogging
- Your 7 night Ibiza 2010 clubbing plan
- The Biggest Mistake Most Travel Blogs Make
- Writers block Part 2
- The Falkland Islands
- Discovering Canada
- The Safest World Cities for Tourists
- A visit to Sin City
- Top 5 activities for a great hen weekend in Barcelona.
- 5 Reasons to Drive Yourself to the Airport
- The best places to shop in Melbourne
- What to do before heading off on a backpacking adventure
- Weekend in Las Vegas
- 3 of the Best Places for a Family Safari in Africa
- Dirt Cheap Airline Tickets
- Why York has Something For Everyone
- 5 Good Reasons to Visit Lanzarote
- What Makes a Great Melbourne Experience?
- Where is the Best Place to Pop the Question, Unconventionally
- 5 Ways to prepare for your Ski Holiday
- Learning a foreign language – how I did it
- Cheap but Fancy Hotels to Try in New York City
- Organising a Cheap yet Romanti...
Sounds great, like a perfect wedding ;) anamaya More...
- Five Budget-Friendly Family Ho...
I live in Yorkshire and am impressed it has made i... More...
- Holidays in Southern Italy
Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this... More...
- The Best Skiing Resorts in Tur...
Nice article, I would prefer to see the place from... More...
- Winter holiday in Barcelona
Barcelona is an amazing city and is loaded with to... More...