Located on the Northeast coast of Spain's Mallorca, Alcudia is one of the most popular family resorts on the Balearic Isles. Formerly a Roman town, the Moors took possession of it in the sixth century giving it the Arabic name, Alcudia, meaning "on the hill". King Juame II purchased the settlement in 1298 and established the construction of the town's old walls. Today Alcudia receives much of its wealth from tourism.
Alcudia offers tourists a wide selection of accommodations to meet every budget. Many of the hotels are located along the popular Puerto Alcudia Beach offering many amenities including children's clubs and amusement arcades. A ten minute walk from Puerto Alcudia will bring visitors to the Bellevue Club Resort. This family oriented hotel complex is one of the best in Europe. Situated beside a lovely lake, it features eight swimming pools and several apartment blocks with private balconies. Open in the summer months from April to October, the resort offers restaurants, mini golf and tennis as well as car and bike rentals.
One of Alcudia's best attractions is its historical Old Town. Here among the old Medieval walls and houses dating back to the thirteenth century, visitors can stroll the narrow streets, admire the Byzantine and Moorish architecture and enjoy lunch at one of the charming bistros or cafes. On Sunday and Tuesday mornings, visitors can browse the local market inside the Old Town finding locally grown vegetables and fruits as well as clothing, jewelry, shoes and souvenirs.
Another interesting attraction near the Old Town is the Portal de Moll. Once a Medieval gate into the town, this historical landmark is now considered the symbol of Alcudia. Visitors can take photos of the structure's two large square towers and two huge palm trees. Other buildings of historical interest are the San Juame Church and the Chapel Of Santa Anna. Also a tour of the Pollentia Monographic Museum is of notable interest. Here visitors can see artefacts unearthed from the archaeological excavations of the ancient Roman city, Pollentia. Just on the outskirts of the town are the ruins of an old Roman theatre that are well worth a visit. It is estimated that the theatre had a capacity for 2,000 people.
The spectacular beaches around Alcudia are ideal for a family summer holiday. Mal Pas Beach is good for swimming with its quiet cove. San Juan's spacious, sandy white beaches are perfect for sunbathing. Bonaire is popular for its many water sports. Families can also enjoy splashing in the nearby waterpark or visiting the wildlife preserve at the S'Albufera National Park.
St. Juame Festival
Attending the festival of St. Juame would top off a summer holiday to Alcudia. For nine days beginning the first of July, the town of Alcudia decorates its streets and celebrates each evening with a different theme such as the Night of the Romans, when locals dress in Roman attire. Some of the festivities include outdoor theatres, sporting tournaments and a traditional bull fight.
Other articles you may be interested in
- 5 Super-Romantic Activities in Kaikoura, NZ
- Tokyo: A Land of Revival
- How To Make Your Vacation Money Go A Little Further
- The Cathedral of Amalfi: more than a century of history not to miss out on
- Amsterdam’s Top 5 Museums
- 3 of the Best Places for a Family Safari in Africa
- Dirt Cheap Airline Tickets
- Why York has Something For Everyone
- 5 Good Reasons to Visit Lanzarote
- What Makes a Great Melbourne Experience?
- Winter holiday in Barcelona
- 5 Ways to prepare for your Ski Holiday
- Les Deux Alpes hotel and ski facility overview
- Space Tourism: A New Kind of Travel
- Learning a foreign language – how I did it
- Top 5 Reasons to Visit Bali
- Some of the Friendliest Countries to Visit for Your Next Holiday
- Planning family holidays in Stockholm
- Top world surf holiday destina...
I really appreciated this article! Surf holidays a... More...
- Top 10 Holiday Spots in India
I'd love to visit India and found your article rea... More...
- Live Performance Shows in NYC ...
Spring is the month for jazz festivals – the River... More...
- Autumn Travel Ideas
I think Dubai is a place where you can visit in Au... More...
- Top 10 Holiday Spots in India
This is a great article here. India always looked ... More...