Although the recession continues to rage on that doesn’t mean you have to forgo your dream wedding-in fact it could be the perfect catalyst for a different and amazing Big Day.
For many the idea of getting married abroad seems like an expensive option in comparison to a wedding at home, however, with cheap flights, eager package providers offering discount offers and the ability to throw expensive traditions out of the window, getting married abroad could be both exciting and highly cost effective.
Reasons getting married abroad could save you money
1) Smaller guest-list: If you wish for only a select special number of family and friends to come to come to your wedding this can cause rifts and possible offence when practised at home. However, by having the holiday abroad you have a reason for condensing your guest list, which will not only save you money on the wedding meals it will also ensure that your wedding is truly special with only your nearest and dearest in attendance.
2) Throw out expensive wedding traditions: If you choose to get married somewhere lovely and hot you often have the option of a beach wedding at inexpensive destination such as Cyprus, where there are outdoor marriage licenses available. This means there is no need to spend extra expense on giant wedding dresses, excessive flower arrangements and pay for an extravagant venue. Your wedding ceremony instead will be simple, elegant and beautiful and a great deal more cost effective.
3) Combining your honeymoon with your wedding day: While your guests may venture home after the wedding day you and the Mr or Mrs could spend the next week in your chosen destination, which saves the costs on another 2 flights each to another location and if you book with a package provider you may also be able to save more money continuing your honeymoon in the same place.
Cheap, yet romantic holiday destinations:
- Cyprus: Here you can get married on the beach in gorgeous weather and spend your honeymoon relaxed and sunkissed.
- Tuscany: Beautiful rolling hills, fine wines, stunning scenery and classical Italian hospitality await you in the Italian city of Tuscany, with flights from the UK available at incredibly low prices from budget airlines.
- Greece: Greece is an absolutely gorgeous country, with seemingly perpetual good weather and a host of different beautiful locations to choose from for your ideal wedding, from whitewashed churches and sleepy idyllic towns to soft sandy beaches. Many tour operators offer wedding trips to Greece, with flights, food, accommodation and venue included at very good prices.
Some things to keep in mind if you are getting married abroad
1) Research the weather: Always consider the type of weather you can expect from your holiday abroad destination. Not many places have the same weather as Britain and you won’t want to be getting married in the Bahamas during the hurricane season! Or Uncle Bob’s bald head getting sunburnt in extreme heat conditions.
2) Paying for your wedding: As you will be paying for your wedding abroad you may incur transaction fees for foreign transfers, so you could be paying extra every time you spend abroad. However, certain online payment services, such as FastPay allow you to make transfers between international banks for free, without any charges. Also pre-paid currency cards will be a lot cheaper to use than credit cards.
3) Ask your guests well in advance: Asking your guests months, if not a year or so before the wedding will enable everyone to find cheaper flights and may also allow for group discount when staying at a certain hotel. Tell your selected guests as much as you can about the wedding, venue, estimated prices of flights and hotel before you finally ask them to agree.
4) Visas and injections: When travelling to certain countries, such as Thailand you will require malaria injections and numerous countries may require visas for entry so thoroughly research your destination before booking anything.
Getting married abroad could not only be the most special thing you and your loved one do, it could also help you start your new life together free of wedding day debt and is a beautiful way to start a lifelong partnership.
Catherine is a freelance writer and writes about hair transplants, health, dentistry and beauty. Follow her on twitter: @FreshHealh34
- Organising a Cheap yet Romanti...
Sounds great, like a perfect wedding ;) anamaya More...
- Five Budget-Friendly Family Ho...
I live in Yorkshire and am impressed it has made i... More...
- Holidays in Southern Italy
Thanks for taking this opportunity to discuss this... More...
- The Best Skiing Resorts in Tur...
Nice article, I would prefer to see the place from... More...
- Winter holiday in Barcelona
Barcelona is an amazing city and is loaded with to... More...